Laxmi Eye Institute has one of the longest running and most reputed cataract surgical training programs that includes SICS and Phacoemulsification.
DEGREE IN OPTOMETRY
Optometry is an independent primary healthcare profession, concerned with examination, diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the visual system.
As per WHO criteria, our nation requires 1,16,000 optometrists for eye care, whereas at present total number of optometrists in the country is not more than 40,000, in which only 2500 optometrists are qualified degree holders. There is, thus, a huge demand as presently, only 4500 optometrists graduate annually throughout the country. This is the fourth highest paid profession in India.
Scope for Optometrists
- Work with eye hospitals in India & abroad. Like Laxmi Eye Institute
- Own specialized practice.
- Be a part of the education sector.
- Retail sector.
POSTGRADUATION IN OPHTHALMOLOGY (DNB & DOMS)
We are recognized to take 2 primary & 2 secondary candidates every year.
Till date we have had excellent results. Many of our students have gone ahead to do fellowships in various sub-specialties nationally & internationally.
State-of-the-art equipment and the latest treatment techniques at our Institute is key to the success of this program and at par with the best globally.
Our program has a well-organised schedule for academics and practical training.
- Academic training includes a rigorous schedule of presentations, seminars, case discussion, and journal club presentations. These impart a comprehensive exposure to all aspects of theoretical learning. Guest lectures by visiting faculty and scholars are also part of the learning process.
- The surgical program is very well planned and executed. Supervised training in cataract surgery includes both small incision SICS and phacoemulsification surgery. A ‘parent’ teacher is assigned to each student to provide mentorship. All students assist in retina, glaucoma, cornea, squint and oculoplasty surgeries.
- Exposure to all the latest diagnostic equipment ensures students are well-versed with performing these tests as well as interpreting the results in a clinical context.
The course follows all the norms of admission and conduct as laid down by the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi.
The Laxmi Eye Instituteis also recognised to conduct a 2 year post graduate diploma course in Ophthalmology (DOMS) conducted by College of Physicians & Surgeons, Mumbai.
FELLOWSHIPS IN OPHTHALMOLOGY
Laxmi Eye Institute has been grooming qualified ophthalmologists in specialty fellowships since the last 25 years.
During the fellowship training, ophthalmologists are mentored by experts in the specialty, and receive hands-on guidance in clinical and surgical procedures. Additional independent OPD and OT is provided towards the end of the fellowship. Involvement in research is expected, and fellows receive institutional support for paper presentations in one national conference.
Currently Laxmi offers long-term fellowships in:
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology – 18 months
- Glaucoma – 18 months
- Cornea – 18 months